Friday 7 October 2011

Tom and Jerry & the Wizard of Oz


I love the films that you can sit down and watch with your little ones and really enjoy. Tom and Jerry & The Wizard of Oz was one of them.

It was actually very faithful to the version of The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland, complete with flying monkeys and classic songs, but faster paced and with additional roles for Tom, Jerry and Tuffy the Munchkin Mouse.  These additional roles fitted seamlessly into the story telling whilst retaining the familiar "Tom and Jerry" characteristics that we all know and love (including the fact that they do not talk). The animation was beautiful and the musical score was perfect.

One thing that appealed to me was the more subtle humour that would most likely go right over younger viewers' heads but shows that the film producers respect the adult audience.

Special features on the disc include a Classic version of the film where the opening and closing sequences set in Kansas are filmed in sepia tones. I actually preferred this version but it is a touch that would probably detract from the experience for young children.

The film runs for just under an hour which is perfect for those whose interest cannot be sustained for longer feature films (I would have to include my husband in that category!)

I always know when a film has been a hit with my 3 year old daughter. When we got to the end of this one, she turned to me with bright eyes and asked "Can we watch it again?"

For more DVDs for Xmas ideas see:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...